Sectors of Strength
Dynamic Saskatoon is home to one of the youngest demographics in Canada — so it should come as no surprise that innovation is practically in our DNA.
Our city has become an industry-leader across a variety of fields, including mining and energy, technology, agriculture, and life sciences, attracting talent and investment from across the country and around the world.
Known as the “breadbasket of Canada”, Saskatchewan is home to more than 40% of the country’s cultivated farmland. Our innovative agriculture and agri-food sector deploys cutting-edge research and the latest technology to increase crop yields and help feed our global community adequately, safely, and sustainably.
- Global Institute for Food Security - In partnership with Nutrien, the Government of Saskatchewan, and the University of Saskatchewan, GIFS works to develop innovative solutions for global sustainable food production.
- Canadian Feed Research Centre - A national feeds research centre, CFRC develops and commercializes new and better high-value animal feeds from low-value crops from bioprocessing and biofuels industries.
- Crop Development Centre - CDC is a field crop research organization with a mandate to improve economic returns for Western Canada’s agriculture industry by improving existing crops, pioneering new uses for traditional crops, and developing new crops.
- Livestock and Forage Centre - A world-class complex of field and science laboratories that brings together every link of the livestock production chain with a mission to address forage, cow-calf, beef cattle, and environmental needs.
- Protein Industries Canada - Named one of five Innovation Super Cluster Initiatives, PIC works to develop more efficient plant-based proteins through crop breeding, agricultural crop production, food processing, and global food exports.
Life Sciences & Biotechnology
There’s a reason they call us “Science City”. Saskatoon is a world leader in biotechnology and life sciences, and is home to some of the most advanced research facilities in Canada.
- Canadian Light Source - A cutting-edge synchrotron radiation facility used by scientists from around the globe, CLS research ranges from mine tailing remediation to cancer research and materials development.
- Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization - VIDO is Canada’s Centre for Pandemic Research, a world leader in infectious disease research and vaccine development for humans and animals.
Mining & Energy
With its efficient regulatory environment, strong investment opportunities, and abundant mineral resources (including the world’s largest potash industry), Saskatchewan’s mining and energy sectors have attracted strong investment from many of the world’s most prominent mining companies.
- Cameco - From their headquarters in Saskatoon, Cameco is one of the largest global providers of the uranium fuel needed to energize a clean-air world, including two of the world’s largest high-grade uranium mines: McArthur River and Cigar Lake.
- Nutrien - With operations and investments in 14 countries, and nearly 20,000 employees worldwide, Nutrien produces and distributes over 27 million tonnes of potash, nitrogen, and phosphate products for agricultural and industrial use.
- K+S Potash Canada - Headquartered in Saskatoon, K+S Potash Canada has been mining and processing potash and salt for over 125 years, including from the Bethune mine near Moose Jaw, SK. Their products are used as natural fertilizers.
- Orano - One of the world’s leading uranium exploration, mining, and milling companies, Orano is headquartered right here in Saskatoon, and develops large-scale, high-grade uranium deposits in northern Saskatchewan.
- BHP - A world-leading resources company, BHP’s work focuses on the resources the world needs to grow and decarbonise, including Saskatchewan-sourced potash for sustainable farming.
Saskatoon is an emerging creative hotbed for technology companies, with a competitive pool of homegrown talent that’s attracted attention from industry-leading firms from across the globe. Our city’s Information and Communications Technology sector delivers value through economic diversification and high-paying jobs.
- Vendasta - A Canadian-based technology business, Vendasta offers an AI-powered, end-to-end platform for local experts who market, sell, bill, fulfill, and deliver digital solutions to small and medium businesses.
- Coconut Software - Headquartered right here in Saskatoon, Coconut Software focuses on developing game-changing digital products for financial institutions.
- Solido Design Solutions - A division of Siemens, Solido Design Solutions leverages proprietary machine-learning technologies to deliver variation-aware design solutions used by world-renowned companies like Qualcomm, IBM, and Apple.
- 7Shifts Inc. - From their headquarters in Saskatoon, 7Shifts develops intuitive software and app-based solutions to help restaurant managers schedule, evaluate, and communicate in an optimized way.
- Co.Labs - Saskatchewan’s first technology incubator to support early-stage technology startups, Co.Labs is a collaborative community gathering point for innovators, builders, and creators.